My first Wiksten Tova dress! I love it.
I made this in a flannel fabric we picked up at the 2013 Textile Center Garage Sale. Adam had wanted it for a Western shirt, but once I pointed out there were strawberries all over it he said I could make it mine.
I really like how flannel works with this pattern. It’s so comfortable.
I was very worried I wouldn’t be able to sew this weekend, because as you can see…
…I have a big ol’ scar on my hand! That’s 19 stitches along my pinky finger.
If you must know: I was washing a glass when it broke around my hand. Adam was a champ getting me to the emergency room though and we had a really great physician helping us out. I work with doctors in my day job, so I know many of them think they’re funny (but usually aren’t) — this guy was a hoot though. I mean, if you have to go to the hospital, it’s nice to have someone making you smile right?
We also made it over the border this weekend to Wisconsin which means I got to buy some New Glarus. Worth the trip, if you’ve never been to Wisconsin. Also, cheese curds. Never leave Wisconsin without gaining five pounds or you’re doing it wrong.
Anyway, this dress is really great and I love it but I was disappointed at first by the neckband. It stays so stiff and big! The structure insists that your collar flop down. Don’t fight it.
I made the XL size and added some additional fabric along the sides. I added way too much at first and kept grading down though, so I have no idea how much I added at this point.
I did see that the pattern maker on her blog made one without the neckband, and just used bias tape facing and strengthened the placket with some lightweight facing. I think that’s a great idea. I’ll likely try that next time around.
Now that I’ve got the sizing down, the next make should be fairly quick. I look forward to having one a bit dressier I can wear to work.
Total Cost: $10 pattern + $4 fabric + 6 hours